About the artist
Yvonne Serruys was a Franco-Belgian artist. She studied painting and drawing, from 1892 to 1894 in the workshop of painter Georges Lemmen, a member of Les XX. Another tutor of hers was Emile Claus. She travelled to Italy and Greece and exhibited her paintings in Paris at the Salon in 1898. In 1904 she established her own workshop; her work included 250 sculptures and 300 works of glass. She received a number of public commissions. The majority of her work was romantic in style, largely portraiture and nudes. In 1920, she received the Légion d’honneur, and in 1934 she was appointed the officer of the Order of Léopold. She died in Paris in 1953. Her will left many of her works to the town of Menen where they are now held by the local museum, the Stadsmuseum ’t Schippershof.