Antique gold kitten with diamond collar playing with little pearl on seal 1890
- About the artworkAbout artwork & Artist
Antique jewelry object group: can be worn as pin or easily changed into a pendant (by our team of specialised goldsmiths)
Condition: very good condition
- (more info on our condition scale)
Country of origin: France
Style: Victorian - Victorian decorative arts refers to the style of decorative arts during the Victorian era. The Victorian era is known for its eclectic revival and interpretation of historic styles and the introduction of cross-cultural influences from themiddle east and Asia in furniture, fittings, and Interior decoration. Victorian design is widely viewed as having indulged in a regrettable excess of ornament. The Arts and Crafts movement, the aesthetic movement, Anglo-Japanese style, and Art Nouveaustyle have their beginnings in the late Victorian era.
- See also: Victorianor more info on styles
Style specifics: The Late or Aesthetic Victorian Period - Experts divide the reign of Queen Victoria, also called The Victorian era (1837-1901) into three periods of about twenty years each; The Romantic Victorian Period (1837 - 1860), The Grand Victorian Period(1860 - 1880), and the Late or Aesthetic Victorian Period (1880 - 1901).
We consider this to be of The Late or Aesthetic Victorian Period.
Jewelry of this period is changing back from heavy to more smaller, romantic pieces with often whimsical motifs. Jewelers using diamonds and bright gemstones in elaborated and fine feminine pieces.
Period: ca. 1890
- (events & facts of this era, poetry of this era, fashion of this era)
Theme: kitten playing with ball
Material: 18K yellow gold (touchstone tested)
- (more info on precious metals)
Extra information:the oval shape on which the kitten is standing is a seal with the mongram DC (in mirror writing)
Diamond(s): Six rose cut diamonds. We do not have the weight of the diamonds which is normal in our trade when it comes to rose cuts.
- All diamonds we offer are screened by the IJGC - lab (www.ijgc-worldwide.com) for whether they are natural or synthetic, and all diamonds in this jewel are 100% guaranteed to be natural.
Precious stones: Two emeralds with an estimated weight of ± 0.01ct.
- All color stone weights are approximate since stones are not removed from their mounts to preserve the integrity of the setting.
- It is a very common practice to treat gemstones to intensify their clarity or colour. The item in question has not been tested in this regard.
Birthstones: Diamond is the birthstone (or month stone) for April, emerald for May and pearl for June.
- (more info on birthstones)
Hallmarks: The French control mark for 18K gold representing an eagle's head that was in use in France from about 1838.
- (more info on hallmarks)
Dimensions: length kitten 1,55 cm (0,61 inch) - See picture with a ruler in cm and inches
Weight: 7,90 gram (5,08 dwt)
Adin Reference Nº: 20195-0149
Copyright photography: Adin, fine antique jewellery
jewelry with cats, jewelry with animals, yellow gold jewelry, jewelry with rose cut diamonds, jewelry with emerald, jewelry with pearls, latest acquisitions,
antique jewelry, estate jewelry, vintage jewelry or modern jewelry
Jewelry with birthstones (or month stones) for:
January - February - March - April - May - June - July
August - September - October - November or December.
jewelry glossary - wall of fame - visit us in Antwerp - subscribe to our mailinglist.
What is antique jewelry? - What is estate jewelry? - What is vintage jewelry?