Mario Buccellati Vintage Fifties gold and silver pearl neck jewel necklace with grape leaf motive 1950
- About the artworkAbout artwork & Artist
Antique jewelry object group: necklace
Condition: very good condition
- (more info on our condition scale)
Country of origin: Italy
Style: Vintage Fifties (of the twentieth century)
- See also: Fifties (of the twentieth century)or more info on styles
Period: ca. 1950
- (events & facts of this era, poetry of this era, fashion of this era)
Source of inspiration: Mother Nature
Theme: This signed Mario Buccellati necklace features its quintessential grape leaf motif that he used so much in the 1950's.
Material: 18k yellow gold and silver, see also: The silver on gold technique (touchstone tested)
- (more info on precious metals)
Extra information: Buccellati Holding Italia is an Italian jewellery and watch company formed by the merger of two previous companies with existing brands Mario Buccellati and Gianmaria Buccellati, which corresponded to the names and surname of two master goldsmiths:father and son.
In 1919 Mario Buccellati opened his first enterprise and, after the establishment of stores in Milan, Rome and Florence, began the development of his overseas business by opening a new store on Fifth Avenue in New York in 1954 and another in Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, Florida in 1958. In 1949 Mario Buccellati was commissioned to create an icon by Pope Pius XII for Princess Margaret to mark the extraordinary power of the first visit of a British Royal to Vatican City in hundreds of years. Thismagnificent work of art can be admired today at the Chianciano Art Museum in Tuscany.
In 1965, after the death of Mario, management of the firm was conducted by four of his five sons. In 1971 the new brand Gianmaria Buccellati was launched by one of Mario's sons, who started a separate business from his brothers, and in 2011 came to anagreement with his relatives for the brand Buccellati then Buccellati Holding Italia reshaping the company. (from: Wikipedia)
Precious stones: 18 cultured salt water pearls
Birthstones: Pearl is the birthstone (or month stone) for June.
- (more info on birthstones)
Brand: MARIO BUCCELLATI
Signature: MARIO BUCCELLATI
Hallmarks: Mario's Buccellati's hallmark "15 MI" and 750 indicating 18K gold
- (more info on hallmarks)
Dimensions: length 40,00 cm (15,75 inch) - See picture with a ruler in cm and inches
Weight: 77,00 gram (49,51 dwt)
Reference Nº: 19302-0172
Copyright photography: Adin, fine antique jewelry
- About the artistAccording to family history, the Buccellati's came into contact with the jewelry trade during the mid-eighteenth century, when Contardo Buccellati worked as a goldsmith in Milan. In 1903, Mario Buccellati revived the family tradition, apprenticing at Milan’s prestigious Beltrami & Beltrami at the age of twelve. In 1919, Buccellati took over the firm, changing its name to Buccellati. The company began to grow as Buccellati caught much attention at Madrid's 1920 Exposition, when he began to scream to a woman who only asked for a discount. The next day hundreds of people visited his booth out of curiousity. Buccellati was invited to exhibit his work at a solo show, which was visited by many Spanish aristocrats and the royal family. In 1951, Buccellati became first Italian jewelry designer with a location on Fifth Avenue in New York City and nowadays branches are known to exist all over the world.
The firm is famous for textural gold jewellery and silver objects. Earlier pieces have a bold and recognizable look, with reference to the goldsmiths during Renaissance days.