VCA Van Cleef and Arpels Vintage Retro gold diamond pink gold ladies watch 1940
- About the artworkAbout artwork & Artist
Antique jewelry object group: ladies wrist watch
Condition: good condition
- (more info on our condition scale)
Country of origin: France
Style: Vintage Retro - The style now called "Retro Art" is a genre which was developed in the 1940s and 1950s in response to a need for bold, eye-catching graphics and shapes that were easy to reproduce.
- See also: Retroor more info on styles
Style specifics: Retro Style is a recent designation for the period in the forties when large scale, stylized geometric forms, drapes, bows or ribbons were all the rage. Pink Gold, set with colored stones, sometimes in floral forms was common.
Period: ca. 1940
- (events & facts of this era, poetry of this era, fashion of this era)
Material: Two tones of precious metal, the main part being 18K pink gold and the white parts are platinum.
- (more info on precious metals)
Extra information: Van Cleef & Arpels - Their first jewelry store was created in 1906 by Charles, Julien and Louis Arpels, in partnership with their brother-in-law Alfred Van Cleef. They soon reached international recognition and in 1942, they had the possibility to open a new store in New York on the famous Fifth Avenue.
Diamond(s): 51 old European cut diamondswith an estimated weight of ± 4.58ct.
20 single brilliant cut diamonds (also called 8/8) with an estimated weight of ± 0.60ct.
Total diamond count: 71 pcs.
Total diamond weight: approx. 5.18 crt. with an average colour and clarity: F/J, vs/si.
- All diamond weights, color grades and clarity are approximate since stones are not removed from their mounts to preserve the integrity of the setting. Also we have all diamonds screened by the IJGC - lab(www.ijgc-worldwide.com) for whether they are natural or synthetic, and all diamonds in this jewel are 100% guaranteed to be natural!
Birthstones: Diamond is the birthstone (or month stone) for April.
- (more info on birthstones)
Brand: Van Cleef & Arpels
Signature: at the back of the watch case, a bit worn out but still readable
Engraving: Van Cleef Et Arpels
Hallmarks: The French control mark for 18K gold representing an eagle's head (that was in use in France from about 1838) and the French control mark for platinum representing a dog's head (that was in use in France from about 1912).
- (more info on hallmarks)
Dimensions: total length 16,30 cm (6,42 inch)
Weight: 54,80 gram (35,24 dwt)
Reference Nº: 19201-0010
Copyright photography: Adin, fine antique jewelry
- About the artistVan Cleef & Arpels is a French company, producing jewelry, watches and perfume. Van Cleef & Arpels was established in 1896 in Paris by Alfred Van Cleef and his relative Salomon Arpels. In 1906, although Arpels had already passed away, Van Cleef opened their first boutique store at 22 Place Vendome, opposite the Hotel Ritz. All three sons of Arpels, named Charles, Juilien and Louis, joined the company in name of their late father.
Soon, the company began to open boutiques in a number of resorts such as Deauville, Vichy, Le Touchet, Nice and Monte-Carlo. In 1925 Van Cleef & Arpels won first prize at the International Exposition of Modern Industrial and Decorative Arts, for a design for a bracelet of white and red roses, executed in a combination of rubies and diamonds. Van Cleefs daughter Renee Puissant, born Rachel, took over the artistic direction of the company. She maintained close connections with draftsman René Sim Lacaze for over twenty years. The company was the first to open international boutiques in Japan as well as China. In 1999, Compagnie Financère Richemont S.A. acquired the firm.
The pieces of Van Cleef & Arpels can be recognized through use of flowers, animals and fairies. They have been worn by style icons such as Farah Diba, Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor, the Duchess of Windsor, and Jordan Paterra.