About the artwork
About the ArtistThe Wolfers family was a Bruxelles gold -and silversmith dynasty that operated under the name Wolfers Frères (Brothers Wolfers) at a certain point.
Louis François Guillaume Wolfers (1820-1892) passed his master test in Augsburg in 1838 and founded his own company in Bruxelles. From 1877, he sent his sons Philippe (1858-1929), Max (1859-1953) and Robert (1867-1959) to Germany, France, The Netherlands and Austria. In 1885, Philippe married Sophie Wildstädter and the firm was renamed to 'Louis Wolfers père et fils'. In 1897, the name of the firm was changed to 'Wolfers Frères'. They built a new building in Bruxelles in 1909, designed by Victor Horta. The company has stayed there ever since.
The firm Wolfers Frères designed and made the monumental table ensemble for the Belvédère-palace during the World Exposition in 1958. The Belvédère was used as a VIP-area and thus required prestigious decorations.