A Flower Still Life with Roses 1935
Original oil on canvas
36 ⨯ 35 ⨯ 1 cm
- About the artworkA Flower Still Life with Roses
Oil on canvas 14,4 * 14 inch (36,5*35,5 cm)
Rueter designed many posters, calendars, ex-libris (including woodcuts) and book binding designer. His first steps in drawing were under the watchful eye of Johan Braakensiek; son of a publisher. He was educated at the Municipal Evening Drawing School in Amsterdam, the National Normal School for Drawing Education, and the National Academy of Fine Arts. He worked for various publishers and was, among other things, responsible for the design of the binding and endpapers of the renowned book series 'Nederlandsche Historische Bibliotheek', which was published by Meulenhoff.
In addition, Rueter was a renowned portrait painter. He immortalized many professors from the University of Amsterdam, among others. His versatility made him a true craftsman who 'just' wanted to decorate. Portraits and designs for books paid the bills, in flower still lifes he could paint more freely. He belongs in the overview of Dutch painting in the 20th century because he painted from the heart and almost resisted the business-like coldness of his contemporaries.
- About the artist
Georg Rueter (1875, Haarlem - 1966, Amsterdam), full name Wilhelm Christian Georg Rueter, was a Dutch sculptor (bronze), etcher, lithographer, woodcutter, painter, glass painter, designer. After studying drawing for four years, he received a Teaching Certificat of Drawing in 1894. From 1894 to 1896 he studied under August Allebé at the Rijksakademie van Beeldende Kunsten (State Academy of Fine Arts), Amsterdam. Between 1921 and 1940 he was a teacher (lector) at this academy. The famous draughtsman and illustrator Johan Herman Isings was one of his pupils. Georg Rueter was married to Gerarda Lang. He lived and worked in Haarlem, Sloten, Sloterdijk and Amsterdam. Rueter created among others landscapes, cityscapes, portraits, self-portraits, animals, book designs, book decorations, ex-libris. He was honoured with a Silver Medal of Amsterdam in 1963, and in 1923 he was awarded a Royal Medal by Queen Wilhelmina. He was a member of Arti et Amicitiae, Amsterdam, and Saint Lucas, Amsterdam.